Day two of the training focused on Twitter and Facebook, including the use of TweetDeck. I use Tweetdeck a lot with my work and find it very useful especially for setting up Tweets to go out at specific times of day. Again the idea of finding your voice came up (something which came up in the CPD 23 Things) and that is something I would like to work on. I also learned how to import/export a blog in Blogger which is something I didn't know before and could come in useful.
We talked briefly about live webcasting tools available online, and although we use versions of Elluminate and Blackboard Collaborate (both soon to become the same thing) I thought this would be of particular use to LRCs, especially those based over several campuses.
We evaluated several Facebook sites and I can now tell the difference between Facebook Profiles (usually for individuals), Pages (Community/cause website and feeds into news feeds), and Groups (can be public, private or hidden and you don't need to "be friends" with people in the group).
I also created a mind map at bubble.us as part of a project for the training. I have decided to put into practice what I have learned from the training to feed into a screencast I want to do as part of a work event, an online webinar on OER (Open Educational Resources). This particular screencast will look at the use of RSS Feeds.
Unfortunately I am unable to attend the final day of the training due to other commitments, but I hope to use this blog as progress of my project and examples of what I have learned, as well as feeding into the private group blog.
I found both days to be very useful, even though I use some of the tools already, it was useful to explore different elements I hadn't tried before (such as setting up lists in Twitter and adding pages to a blog). I also found it useful from the view that I always think librarians know what I am on about when I talk about these things, I use them so everyone else must do, but their is a gap sometimes. From this I hope in the future I can be more instructional rather than assuming everyone knows what I am talking about.
No comments:
Post a Comment